There are many evangelical schools for training ministers, thereby offering the Master of Divinity degree, but comparatively few that offer the Doctor of Philoophy (Ph.D) or Doctor of Theology (Th.D.) Here is the list of accredited programs. I am not counting here Missions degrees or Leadership degrees.
Of these, which are evangelical of some stripe? For purposes of this discussion, I’m focusing on Bible or Theology related Ph.Ds, not missions, etc.
Southern Baptist Schools
- Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (Wake Forest, NC) — From the fundamentalist branch of the Southern Basptist Convention. You are likely to learn the Bible here!
- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (Fort Worth, TX)– The largest seminary Ph.D degree granting program. Recently taken over by Paige Patterson and the conservative Baptists as well. Except for the lack of openness to the Charismatic gifts, this can only be a good thing.
- Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (Louisville, KY) — The Calvinist Baptist seminary. Probably the highest academic standards of the SBC.
- New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (New Orleans, LA)
- Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary (Mill Valley, CA)
- Regent University (VA) has a new Ph.D in Renewal Theology. Great option for Pentecostals.
- Asbury Theological Seminary (Wilmore, KY) — also has a new program in Biblical Studies
- Westminster Theological Seminary (Philadelphia) — Very Calvinist and very academic. Westminster was founded in the early 1900s by the conservative Princeton professors who were against the liberal takeover.
- Dallas Theological Seminary — The Cessationist school. The big dispensational school. This may not be good for your Spiritual health. It was not for Jack Deere.
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (Chicago) — Theological Studies. One of the top academic schools for evangelicals.
- Wheaton College (Ph.D) — Biblical and Theological studies. They only accept 6 students a year, and they are fully funded. Greg Beale who is a great teacher and on the cutting edge of amillennial hermeneutics is on the faculty.